Monday, July 21, 2008

Kimathi- Day 3

This was our last day to work on the church. It was neat how quickly it all came together. The people were so excited to see the project completed.


This man is painting the door to the "toilet". Scott helped him for a little bit and it was all he could do to not gag from the smell. Here's what the inside looked like. Aiming was very important.



Scott and I were able to work together for a bit. The second coat always went quicker.
Sneaking smooches:)


Putting up the decorations. The wall hanging was quilted by a lady from the church in West Point. Someone also made a ceramic cup and plate for communion. They were all much appreciated.





There's always time for some singing and dancing!


I'm in the coffee field right next to the church. Awsome!


This sweet lady brought me pictures of her family after I had shown her some of mine the day before. I thought it was great!
Connecting with people was one of the highlights of the whole trip. John "the Baptist" was one of my favorite people there. There was something special about him. It was sad to see how the university kids didn't include him though becuase he didn't go there. It was hard to see. I'm so glad he came to help with the church. I hope it blessed him. I don't know where he was with the Lord but I pray that he will experience God's love, encouragment, and acceptance.


Though the soccer ball got a hole in it after about 5 minutes it was still fun to play with the twins. They wouldn't set down their water bottle down, so they kicked the ball very carefully so they wouldn't spill. It was pretty amusing.


Holy cow do those women work!!! We helped them stir this mix of potatoes, corn, and brown beans and I was exhausted after doing it for a minute. As you can see in the first picture, I wasn't doing it hard enough so the old lady took the stick to show me how it was really done. Wow, after this we had a whole new appreciation for how hard they work. It was hot, with smoke and ash flying in your face, man, we sure take our kitchens for granted! Then when they are done with dishes from that meal, they start chopping up the veggies for the next meal. Amazing.

The twins Charles and Dennis with their grandma.

These mommas were great!

The adorable children came back today. They were a little warmer to us that day. Given a few more days we could have connected a lot more with them. They enjoyed the sweets:) I think all the kids we saw in Kenya associate white people with sweets.

Doesn't he look cute in Scott's hat?
It was great to finish our first project, 2 more to go!

No comments: