Saturday, July 26, 2008

Renguti Children Center

On our day between projects we went to Renguti Children's Center. Most of the children here were orphans. It is not called an orphanage because the children don't live here. Most live with extended family or neighbors, but since they aren't immediate family, they are the last to get fed, schooled, and taken care of. Coming to Renguti insures they are taken care of in many ways.


When we arrived they were having their morning porridge. They were so well behaved. They have their morning porridge and then a lunch later on in the day and for most of the children that was all they ate all day long. Thank goodness for this children's center!


After porridge it was time for outdoor activities. After the first activity as a group they split the boys up from the girls. The boys played more chase/tag games and the girls were a little tamer.
This is tag of some sort.


Scott came over and played cirlce games with the girls. The girls activities all involved songs and the songs had instructions of what they were supposed to be doing. It was soooo cute. One was about running through the bamboo forest. They were all in English but there was something so adorable in their little accents as they sang and laughed. I need to find the videos of them singing!
Those little girls could sure shake their hips:)

After outdoor games it was time for class. Before they began teaching we went around and handed out hats and candy. The children were so sweet and quiet. We could tell they really appreciated it!
The little boy in the green hat was so cute. When we wave using our fingers, they sometimes think it means we want them to come to us. I waved like that to the little boy in green so he came over to me. Oops. I just gave him a hug and he went back and sat down. I think he felt special though, so my mixup in cultural gestures worked out.
Here are just some really precious children. I wanted to take them all home!




Even though this little boy was shy, his dimple spoke for him.



Scott turned the viewer so the children could see themselves. They thought that was so neat!


We all got a thumbs up!


They were getting ready for their little meal when we left. I'm thankful for the dedicated ladies who run Renguti. I would have loved to stay longer. It was great to see how the Lord takes care of orphans and it reminds me that we need to do the same, however that may be.

No comments: